I used to think that exercising at home was for a very specific group of people. You know, the kind that is always motivated to move and isn't easily distracted by the lure of a comfortable couch, Netflix, and the thought that you'll get it another day. Or, meet the kind of people (aka celebrities) whose home gyms rival a fancy boutique fitness studio or the fanciest gym.




As someone who finds her motivation by being around other people in the gym or gym class, and pretending that I'm competing with all of them even when it's a restorative yoga class, I never considered myself a type of person who exercises in home. But, since I've been spending more time at home recently and my only option to stay active is to stream a workout on my laptop, I've learned that I might like to exercise at home. There are so many advantages - you don't have to worry about making a fool of yourself. You can go at your own pace - the rewind button has become my friend with on-demand workouts when trying to find the right form. And there isn't a lot of travel between my bed or couch and the rug.

 Of course, there are also cons. I have to really remember to exercise as I haven't set a particular schedule yet. So some days, I'm like, "No," whereas if I signed up for a class in a studio, I would feel pressured to go because I didn't want to lose my money. And, being the extrovert that I am, I miss working with others, high-fives after finishing a grueling SoulCycle class; take a look at what someone is watching on the elliptical television or the treadmill; and yes, the competition in my head of trying to lift my leg higher than everyone else in the bar class.

Because many of us could be exercising more at home, I reached out to fitness trainers and experts to get their advice at home. I found them all very useful, and maybe you will too. See below:


1.Schedule your workouts

And as if you were to pack your clothes or pack your lunch for the next day, you can take responsibility by setting everything up the night before. This can help especially if you are the type to get out of bed at the last minute. "Seeing your gear ready to go will remind you throughout the day to exercise," says P.volve Master Coach Maeve McEwen. "Again, it's very rewarding when you put your things away after completing your workout."

 

2.Don't set a crazy goal

Never set a crazy goal about workout which is very harmful "Start by setting a realistic goal of doing three classes a week," says Mark Mullett, co-founder of the streaming fitness platform. "You'll feel so accomplished when you reach your targeted destination. When people join, we encourage them to reach their goal of 'Strive for Five.' These are five 28-minute classes in the first week of joining obé. Once you reach a goal, you are inspired to move on. "

 

3.Set an intention

"I start all my workouts by setting an intention," says De La Rue. "It helps me settle in the present and motivate me throughout my training."

 

4.Don't be intimidated

When you exercise alone at home, the only person judging you is yourself, and we hope you are loosening up a bit. "One of the good things about doing exercise from home is that there is no intimidation about your workout," says obé co-founder Ashley Mills. "We have so many members telling us that they would never sign up for a cardio dance class for fear of being uncoordinated, but since no one is watching, they have fallen in love!"